Don’t you just know that “No” is powerful. I mean it is used for marketing everywhere. Remember the “Just Say No to Drugs” campaign? In casual conversation friends urge those they care about to say “No ” to going out with a certain person or having that decadent desert when they are trying to cut calories.
And everyone knows what “No” means. Especially when said the right way. But did you know that a big powerful “No” also has a flavor?
Well since 1990 Hermenabelle and I have been hearing kindergartners share the flavor of their big powerful “No!” . This “No” has nothing to do with cleaning your room, or not wanting to share your favorite toy or ice cream. No, it is the “No” children are encouraged to use if anyone ever asks them to break the “Touching Rule”. This “No” has presence and resolve. This “No” not only can be heard by one but by many. The “No” knows how to send a message and apparently it doesn’t taste bad either.
Here’s what happens… I reach in to my bag for a powerful “No” . I pull them out. I tell the class that they need to catch one and to put it in their mouth, ear, tummy, nose (and even their belly button if they choose) as long as it is some place inside their body. I toss the “No’s” in the air, they are caught and quickly given a home inside. Of course there are those who choose ear, tummy, nose and yes even their belly button. None the less there are those who choose to place the “No ” in their mouth. When asked “How does it taste?” here is what I have heard.
- Strawberry: The most common flavor..
- Blue berry: Also popular.
- Cotton Candy: When tasted, always makes the child smile.
- Chocolate with color sprinkles: Found by those who truly have taste.
- Banana Split: Another full flavored “No”.
- Watermelon with salt: It was such a relief to hear others enjoy salt with their watermelon.
- Air: I am certain that these were “No’s” that like after an open fizzy drink loses it’s bubbles have presence but not a lot of flare.
- A big hamburger: The fast food restaurant that this hamburger belongs to has not yet been determined
- Peanut butter cookie: Funny no allergic reaction at all to these …so far
- And my all time favorite flavor of a Powerful “No”, Kung Pow Chicken.
Yes there are other flavors and I, and Hermenbelle, will certainly keep you informed if we learn of any other remarkable flavors found in the classes we visit. So remember “Say NO!” to anyone who wants to break the touching rule.
Flavored Powerful “No’s” …who knew?